Mar 17, 2014

Bibliocraft Release Party!

Since I moved to New York, I've been on a quest for quiet.  It's so loud here, and the chaos and crowds can often seem overwhelming. At least a few days of the month, I go to the New York Public Library, to write and catch up on deadlines, amidst the quiet tables in the Rose Reading room.   Of course, I've also spent countless hours there researching images and ideas for my artwork.  Like the Chicago Public Libary (which I waxed on about here) the NYPL has an incredible collection of images, objects, and information.  



You can't imagine how thrilled I was when Jessica Pigza, the special collections libarary at the NYPL, reached out to me to ask me to contribute to her beautiful new book, Bibliocraft.   Since that first meeting,  we've met for tea and talked about the book writing process and become friends.  She herself is amazing- a treasure trove of ideas and inspiration.   We share an editor, and one day, while sitting in my (our) editor's office a few weeks ago, I got a little preview of this beautiful book.  It is so beautiful- and I can't wait to get my hands on my very own copy this Wednesday  (tomorrow) at the book release party.  It's being held at the Brooklyn Craft Company in Greenpoint, and all the details (and RSVP info) can be found over on Jessica's blog.  I hope you can make it!

I contributed a project that was inspired by the library's collection of maps, which required several meetings with the library's Geo-Spatial librarian, who laid out a huge table full of antique maps of Manhattan, complete with plot lines of the farms that once were the upper east side.  What a day! In the end the project pays homage to antique maps, and to my Grandma, who died a year ago last week, and whose birthday (91st) would have been this Wednesday.

3 comments:

  1. If you're ever in Baltimore, we have a grand, huge old library downtown that is fabulous and filled with treasures. I am psyched to learn about this book, it looks perfect. I also love old maps and imaginary maps.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jill, that sounds like so much fun- I've always wanted to visit the Visionary Art Museum too. Baltimore, soon I hope!

      Delete
  2. What an exciting post, Rebecca! Congratulations on being included in the publication. I'm anxious to have my own copy.
    Here's to finding unexpected inspiration and making new friends.

    ReplyDelete