May 18, 2012

Artist I Love: Darrel Morris

When I was an undergraduate at Cornell, I remember seeing Darrel Morris's work for the first time and feeling like bells were ringing and light bulbs were flashing.  He was one of the first artists that I really loved, and his way of working felt like a revelation.  Lucky for me I went on to grad school at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, where Darrel was my advisor, then colleague when I started teaching there myself after grad school.    Darrel is a story teller, a collage maker, and one of my favorites still.
In recent years, he has been working on a large scale, creating huge line drawings from a single color of thread.  A solo show of these works was at the Museum of Contemporary Craft in Portland in 2009.  Here's a slideshow.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment