Jul 15, 2011

What took me so long?

I'm not sure why I waited so long to head to Brighton Beach, but yesterday was the day.  I headed out for a walk and it felt like a real Michigan morning.  Cool, no humidity.  Could it be true?  In Brooklyn?   I raced through my to do list, shoved all the necessities into a beach bag, and ran to the Q train.  As it turns out, only 30 minutes from my house is a beautiful Atlantic beach, which I knew, but hadn't really figured out until yesterday. 
I mean, sure, there's a lot of broken glass in the sand, but still, a real beach, with sea shells, sunbathers, big waves and all!  And, after walking a long ways, suddenly there is something else; Coney Island!
I can't wait to go back and ride the swings.  They go up so high, I'm sure you can see almost all the way to England.
Just you try to go there and not take a million photographs.  Especially on a really sunny day like yesterday. 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a magical journey. I just finished reading Patti Smith's Just Kids where she recounts trips to Coney Island.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. it's so old-timey and kitch. say, did you have a hot dog and lemonade?

    ReplyDelete