Oct 10, 2011

Manic Drawing and Wayward Surfaces

While I'm off in California, I thought I would take this opportunity to tell you about an upcoming workshop that I am particularly excited about.  It's been awhile since I've taught a workshop that is longer than a few days, so I'm really excited about this two week (3 credit) intensive that I am co-teaching with my friend Jesse Harrod.  Students at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago can take this course for  credit, but the general public can also take this class for no credit!  This means you!  Registration opens at the end of the month. 
Ox-Bow is the School of the Art Institute of Chicago's summer program, located in Saugatuck Michigan on a beautiful lagoon that leads to Lake Michigan. The campus is made up of beautiful turn of the century cabins nestled into the dunes (there are a few winterized buildings).  It is a twenty minute drive from the small town of Saugatuck, so once you are at Ox-Bow it is pretty remote.  When I taught there in the past, I actually never left campus, except once to get an ice cream cone.  Once you're there, all you have to worry about is making art.  Everything about the experience points you back to your work.  The food is amazing, really some of the best I've ever eaten, the rooms are comfortable and beautiful, and everyone that works there is kind and supportive.     I've taught there twice before in the summer, and I can't wait to be there this coming January in the dead of winter.

January and February are when I miss Michigan the most.   While I love living in the city, I sure do miss those beautiful white weekends of skiing and sledding and nesting near a window of snow.   It's beautiful there.   I think I've secured a pair of snow shoes to borrow while I'm there, and I can't wait to hike up into the dunes and check out the views that I've become familiar with in summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment