Jan 6, 2012

Favorite Things: Red Work (and Backsides!)

When I was getting ready to write this post, I looked around the studio, then the living room, then the cookbook shelf, looking for this book.  Then I remembered that I don't own it, I just had it on permanent faculty check out when I was at SAIC.   Oh the glory days of the faculty six month library loan period with unlimited renewals.   It was sad to return my favorites last December.   
Redwork is: red embroidery on fabric.  Duh.  It is exactly what it sounds like.  It is always this particular color of turkey red and it is always usually simple line drawings, sometimes with text.  Lots of it was made by tracing book and newspaper images in the 19th and early 20th century.  I have a big collection of it, including English, German, Czech, and Hungarian text examples.   These are the newest additions, gifted to me by my friend Frances last May.   Anybody know the language (or better yet the translation?)
I love  the backsides of embroidery.  A whole different blurry magic world happens back there.  In my work, it's a wild tangled mess, in these beautiful red work examples, it's a softer version of the front.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, nice blog, great work, just found you via MrXstitch.

    The language is German, or to be precice some southern German dialect. To my shame I can't say from which area exactly from such a short text although I'm a native of southern Germany.

    The literal translation:
    jump, my girl, jump really high
    jump and shout jippee (hurah means about that)
    today I beat a hole into the world
    jump my girl jump really high

    I don't really understand the deeper meaning, sounds like a citation from a love song or something but I don't know it and it doesn't google.

    Hope this was a help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, last comment was me. Hit send prematurely on the netfbook keyboard and didn't even get my name right LOL. I'm Tenar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Tenar, you made my day!

    ReplyDelete