Apr 26, 2012

From Berkeley to Brooklyn......

I'm officially home again in Brooklyn, and officially nostalgic for the smell of jasmine and strawberries in Berkeley.  It's such a special place, and I'm so lucky that two of my favorite people in the whole world live there and let me nest into their guest room for long stretches of time throughout the year.   It was hard to come back to New York this time, having set up shop in Berkeley for almost two weeks, but it felt good to step outside into an east coast spring yesterday, bleary eyed and jet lagged though I was.    Here's a short recap of all the reportable activities.  More to follow soon......

1.  I posted a few pictures from the Teahouse Studios workshop (namely my student Penny's ingenious thread organizer), but here are a few more of the class at work and the class photo at the tail end, posing out on the Berkeley deck where we ate our catered lunches, prepared by us by a former chef from Chez Panisse.  If you've been thinking about taking a workshop here, please do.  The beautiful studio and amazing catered lunches made for a pretty great weekend.   Read their review with more pictures here.




2.  I don't have any photos to post from the class at AVerb for Keeping Warm  *, but I do have this to say: it was so much fun!  It was the biggest, fastest class I think I've ever taught, and it wouldn't have been possible if Kristine and her staff weren't the best.  If you're in the Bay Area you've got to check out this amazing space chock full of yarn and cool fabrics, where you'll find Kristine and her dog, charming customers, and a not so covert fabric dyeing operation in the back room.  It's a really inspiring space.  Special thanks to my friend Jackie for being my right hand woman that night and helping all of you get set up with kits and stitch help.   Thanks buddy, I owe you a Tiki Mai Tai.

* You can read Kelly Wilkinson's recap of the class here.

3.  Finally, after those two classes were finished, Katy came and joined me and our friends for an amazing trip down the coast to Pigeon Point Lighthouse, where we stayed overnight in theCoast Guard barracks turned hostel. After watching elephant seals and migrating whales all afternoon, we dined on Cioppino and Olallieberry pie at Duarte's in Pescadaro before tucking ourselves into endless games of King's Corner and rounding out the night in the clifftop hot tub.  The stars were all out above us, and I imagined the whales down below, swimming along slowly on their migration towards Alaska.   It was one of the best weekends on record.   Thanks, California.  I'll be back.



1 comment:

  1. I'll take you up on that Mai Tai. It was fun to be your helper. Can't wait to see you again, buddy!

    ReplyDelete